Reintegration Resources – Virginia Department of Corrections

Below are some helpful resources for people with a history of substance abuse issues:

Medical treatment

Medication-assisted treatment (MAT) is the use of FDA-approved medications, in combination with counseling and behavioral therapies, to treat opioid or alcohol use disorders. To learn more about this type of treatment, visit the Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration (SAMHSA) website.

For more information on VADOC’s MAT program, watch the following video — Medication Assisted Treatment Reintegration Initiative (MATRI).


Naloxone (brand name Narcan) is an opioid antagonist used to temporarily reverse the effects of an opioid overdose. Naloxone is a safe antidote to a suspected opioid overdose and, when given in time, can save a life. Naloxone can be given through the nose or by injection into a muscle or under the skin to a person suspected of overdosing.

Talk to your doctor, pharmacist, or health care provider about how to get Narcan. You can also check with your local health department Where community service board to find out how and when you could get a free NARCAN® Nasal Spray Kit.

SAMHSA National Helpline – 1 (800) 662-HELP

The SAMHSA National Helpline is a free, confidential, 24/7, 365 day a year referral and information service (in English and Spanish) for individuals and families facing mental and/or substance use disorders. You can also visit the SAMHSA Online Treatment Locator.

Peer Recovery Services

Certified Peer Recovery Specialists facilitate group programs designed to assist probationers and parolees in their recovery while under supervision. Peer recovery specialists have experienced recovery from substance use and offer their own personal experiences to give hope to others. For more information, watch the following video — VADOC Peer Recovery Specialist Initiative.

Comments are closed.