Global Photonic Integrated Circuits (PICs) Market Report
Dublin, July 01, 2021 (GLOBE NEWSWIRE) – The “Integrated Photonic Circuit (ICP) – Global Market Trajectory and Analysis” the report was added to ResearchAndMarkets.com offer.
Need to move data at the speed of light? What could be better than using infrared light for data transfer. PIC TO Witnesses of Global Opportunities Explode to $ 3.7 Billion
The global photonic integrated circuit (PIC) market is expected to reach US $ 3.7 billion by 2027, behind a post COVID-19 CAGR of 22.7% on the 2020 to 2027 analysis.
Photons are able to travel at the speed of light and move through various materials without any loss. Integrated photonics can have a very high frequency range to enable high data throughput in an energy efficient manner. The use of photonics to transmit signals over low loss fiber optic transmission lines provides an option to replace traditional coaxial cables used by telecommunications systems.
Investments in optical network infrastructures are therefore making solid gains. In addition to telecom service providers and MNOs, even businesses are rapidly turning to fiber-enabled enterprise networks to handle ever-increasing large data loads and leverage the benefits of technologies such as IoT, cloud and artificial intelligence.
Industry is witnessing a shift from Passive Optical Network (PON) to Active Optical Network (AON) technology. PON technology uses optical separators to separate light signals of different wavelengths as they are transmitted through the network. AON, on the other hand, uses electrical switching equipment such as routers, switch aggregators, amplifiers and repeaters, for the distribution, management and delivery of the signal.
The scenario greatly benefits the demand for photonic integrated circuits (PICs). The growing demand for fiber optic communication systems will increase the adoption rates of PICs. Photonic integrated circuits (PICs) use photons rather than electrons to process and distribute information. Manufactured with indium phosphide rather than silicon, PICs will be the future of wavelength division multiplexing and demultiplexing (WDM) carrier signals. PICs are valued for their ability to re-amplify optical signals passing through long distance fiber optic cables.
As the world moves closer to exascale computing, optical interconnects offer an alternative to the otherwise dense network of copper interconnects that will be needed. The photonic integrated circuit (PIC) integrates several photonic functions and is therefore more suitable for exascale processing. Although electronic integrated circuits are dense, they can never match the speed offered by PICs. PICs have a higher bandwidth; higher levels of immunity to electromagnetic interference; and are compatible with current CMOS manufacturing technologies.
Optical amplifiers, multiplexers, filters, detectors, lasers, sensors and fiber optic modulators will be integrated into photonic integrated circuits in the years to come. Fiber optic communication, defense, health, quantum computing, quantum communication, quantum simulation and quantum metrology will emerge as attractive markets for ICPs.
The integration of silicon photonic devices with traditional electronics will open up new opportunities in on-chip and on-board communications; chip-to-chip interconnects; optical and biophotonic detection. Another notable trend is the development of new generations of pathogen detection systems based on ICPs and other photonic sensors amid the ongoing pandemic.
Photonic integrated circuits are expected to make a significant contribution to the advancement of various fields such as point-of-care diagnostics by enabling new biosensors for bedside testing of diseases such as COVID-19 and cancer. Integrated photonics works like electronics, but controls photons rather than electrons on chips.
Main topics covered:
1. MARKET OVERVIEW
- Overview of the influencer market
- Global market trajectories
- Impact of Covid-19 and an impending global recession
- Biosensors Built Around Photonic Integrated Circuits Introduce New Areas for Point-of-Care Diagnostics
- Developments to promote integrated photonics
- Optical communication and networking era emphasizes high speed photons as data carriers
- An introduction to the photonic integrated circuit (PIC)
- Materials used in the manufacture of the PIC
- Integration models for PIC
- Photonic Integrated Circuit (PIC): Current Market Scenario and Outlook
- Indium phosphide: the largest and fastest growing type of material
- Silicon substrates remain in conflict
- Hybrid Integration: The Widely Used PIC Manufacturing Method
- Monolithic integration emerges as the fastest growing manufacturing approach
- COMPETITIVE LANDSCAPE
- Photonic integrated circuit (PIC): fragmented market
- Recent market activity
2. FOCUS ON CERTAIN PLAYERS(Total 61 featured):
- Broadcom Inc.
- Ciena Company
- Enablence Technologies, Inc.
- Infinera Corporation
- Intel company
- Lumentum LLC operations
- NeoPhotonic Society
- Nokia Networks
3. MARKET TRENDS AND FACTORS
- Expanding DCI’s Role in Data Centers Creates Potential Market Opportunities
- Key Data Center Trends Influencing DCI Implementations
- Rapid growth in data center traffic
- Big data and cloud computing proliferate demand for hyperscale data centers
- PIC to gain from the introduction of 5G
- Programmable PICs Unlock Huge Potential to Transform Photonics
- Optical communications: the largest application market for PIC
- Key trends influencing adoption of ICPs in the optical communication space
- Booming deployments of 100G and Ultra-100G OTNs
- Growing adoption of FTTx networks
- Growing bandwidth requirements bring fiber optic networks to the fore, driving demand for PIC
- Optical signal processing emerges as the fastest growing application segment
- Biophotonics: a niche market segment for PIC
- Expanding the Application Base for Biophotonics Generates Parallel Opportunities for PIC
- Increased emphasis on optical in vitro diagnostics bodes well
- Biosensors are based on SiN photonic integrated circuits
- The northward trajectory in the vertical of fiber optic sensors gives impetus to the expansion of the market
- The concept of smart cities to support sales growth in the years to come
- Smart homes to stimulate demand for PIC
- A coming quantum computing model to infuse new growth opportunities
- Economic Unviability of Electronic Integrated Circuits in OEO Conversion Emphasize Photonic Integrated Circuits
- Photonic IC vs Electronic IC: A Brief Comparative Analysis
- Reduced number of optical packages and reduced need for fiber coupling improves PIC image
- Technological innovations: the key to high growth and constant demand
- Next Generation Silicon Photonics and Polymer-Based Photonic Integrated Circuits Improve Speed, Bandwidth, and Scalability
- Collaborative initiatives promote the development of innovative products
4. WORLD MARKET PERSPECTIVE
III. REGIONAL MARKET ANALYSIS
- Total number of profiled companies: 61
For more information on this report, visit https://www.researchandmarkets.com/r/nm2s2k